Thursday, March 24, 2011

Less Mess Fauxstess Cupcakes!



I was so excited to find a recipe for "faux" hostess cupcakes...until I read the reviews. Every blogger I could find pretty much promised that this recipe would require every bowl in my kitchen. And maybe a few of my neighbor's bowls too...every.one. I do dishes. Like all day long guys. Family of seven. It's practically my job. So, as much as I love baking and trying new recipes, "every bowl" was definitely a deal breaker.

Enter lightbulb moment! I LOVE using cake-mixes to create shortcut recipes, and this was the perfect opportunity. I had some left-over cake batter and realiazed that it was actually a flavor very close to the hostess cupcake. So, here's what I did:

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
I used "Triple Chocolate Fudge" cake mix by Betty Crocker - follow package directions
(Or refer to link above for the actual cake recipe)

Filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla exrtact
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup marshmallow creme

Ganache:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Icing:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 & 1/2 - 2 tablespoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

Cupcakes:
Pre-heat oven, mix cake batter, scoop into muffin tins and bake as directed (one mix usually makes about 24 cupcakes, I like to use an icecream scoop for consistency).

Filling:
Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon heavy cream; beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream in batches, alternating after each addition. Beat in the marshmallow creme; set aside or refrigerate.

Ganache:
Place the chocolate in a stainless-steel bowl. Heat the cream and 1 tablespoon butter until just boiling, then pour over the chocolate; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until
smooth. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla; let stand until cool but still glossy and liquid.




Spoon the filling into a pastry bag - I like to use disposable decorating bags and tip #230 (check Hobby Lobby or wilton.com) - but a round tip #12 or a medium star tip also work fine. Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake top; fill. (It's OK if some of the filling peeks out, it will be covered by the ganache.)




Spoon a little ganache on each cupcake and lightly spread with an offset spatula or a knife. (I decided to dip mine instead). Chill for at least 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the icing: Using a mixer, beat the remaining 1 stick butter, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, the milk and confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Spoon into a disposable decorating bag, trim the end of bag with scissors to create a small round opening (no tip needed) pipe cursive e's onto the cupcakes (or write sweet words) to decorate.





And, just for clarification, here's all the dishes that were dirtied for the making of this recipe - not including the actual cake mix dishes, because it was refridgerated left-over batter...but it would have consisted of an additional mixing bowl, paddle beater, spatula and liquid measuring cup :)





I think I can handle that...if you want to be brave and attempt the original batter, maybe you can make a deal with your hubby - he does dishes, you do cupcakes...worth a try ;)

Linked up to:

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try making homemade hoho's so I am super excited to try this out!

    P.S. I am having a giveaway at my blog, it is the cutest and most practical diaper bag you have ever seen! Come on over and enter to win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I would like about 3 of these right now! They look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete