Wow, where did April go?! I have been too busy to post, so today I am posting one of the desserts I did for our family's Easter celebration...
Remember my previous entry, "Less Mess Fauxstess Cupcakes?" Inspired by that, I wanted to do something similar but with more of a spring/Easter theme...so this is what I came up with. Less mess? hmmm not so much...but super cute, and soooo good, and because they are mini's they can be deceptively dangerous (you know, like, "I just ate 5 of these but that's ok because they're so small..." not that I did that...ahem...)
Here's what I did:
1) Mixed a white cake mix according to box directions, then just for fun I decided to divide my batter equally into three bowls, and colored one bowl pink, one purple, and one blue (note: I was really going for pastel batter, but I dumped a big blob of food coloring into each batter before stirring...these would've been even cuter if the cake itself was pastel).
2) Line 2 24 cup mini muffin tins (or 24 regular sized) with mini cupcake liners.
3) Then I decided to alternate the colors of batter in each cupcake, so that each cupcake would have all 3 colors...but I couldn't decide which order to alternate them in! SO, just to torture myself, I ALTERNATED ALTERNATING the colors...and lost an hour of my life, lol...In the end, I think my favorite are the ones that have the pink on the bottom. or on the top. or in the middle. because I just love pink.
4) After the cupcakes had baked and cooled, I filled each one with my leftover hostess filling, then dipped them in the white chocolate mixture that I had leftover from this (one bag of white chocolate morsels, 3 TBSP shortening, melt in 30 second intervals in the microwave) and when I ran out of that I melted some candy discs from the craft store to dip the remaining cupcakes in. (Note: when I make a recipe, whatever icing/filling/etc. I have leftover I ALWAYS use or freeze - it is so convenient to have them on hand for a quick dessert or new creation, and I hate wasting good ingredients!)
5) After the white chocolate coating has lost it's glossiness but is not completely set (like 5 minutes-ish), sprinkle generously with pastel sugar sprinkles (my favorite way to do sprinkles is over a clean coffee filter, because it makes for easy clean-up and makes a great funnel for returning left-over sprinkles to their container!)...if you accidentally wait too long and the white chocolate has set the sprinkles won't stick - if this happens you can just gently dab the top of the cupcake with a damp papertowel (ask me how I know ;). Then I did the hostess "e-motion" with the hostess icing recipe.
And here's what they look like cut (REALLY wishing they were pastel now...):
And here's where I got a little crazy and decided to bedazzle them with Easter non-pareils...
I know it's a little late, but I hope you all had a Blessed Easter, surrounded by your loved ones and celebrating WHY we live!
"But the angel answered and said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for He is risen, as He said..."
Matthew 28:5-6 NKJV
"I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."
John 14:2-3 NKJV