Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gooey Butter Cookies


Today was a good baking day. Even with 3 out of 5 kiddos home, I managed to sneak in some baking time...2 recipes today! Yay! I'm only posting one for now, the other is an entry for a recipe contest so it cannot be published yet.

I've been wanting to make Gooey Butter Cookies for awhile because I love gooey butter cake, but I have to say that after trying them I like the cake better than the cookies. My kids LOVED them...I just found them a little MEH...and I picked up a "chemical-y" aftertaste...guess I'm just picky ;) All things considered, I'll probably make them again but maybe with a different flavor cake mix.

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cookies:

Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix (I used yellow)
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix.


Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. (I skipped the refridgeration step and used a cookie scoop so I didn't have to get so messy).
Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart (I like to use sheets of parchment cut to fit the pan to save on clean-up) .


Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.


Hope you'll try them and leave me a comment if you do - I'd love to try these in other flavors!

Happy Baking!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment